Those days of using individual welder per job are gone! How you may ask. There are machines now that allow for multiple welding activities to be done using a single welder.
That’s right! Why bother buying individual welders, wasting money and time when you can get it cheaper and finish more projects within a shorter period.
Choosing the best multi-process welder can be difficult; but through this article seeing the pros and cons, types of welders and tips on buying a welder suitable for you, you can say we have made the process a very easy one.
Evolution and technology are meeting every aspect of life; so welcome to modern day welding.
In a Hurry? Check out our top picks of Best Combo Welders
What's on the Page
- 1 In a Hurry? Check out our top picks of Best Combo Welders
- 2 6 Best Multipurpose Welder Reviews
- 3 Types of Welding Machines
- 4 What Is Multi-Process Welding?
- 5 Pros & Cons of Multi-Purpose Welder
- 6 How to Choose the Best Multi Process Welder
- 7 Where Can I Use This Machine?
- 8 Safety Procedures for Using Multi-Process Welding Machines
- 9 Final Words
6 Best Multipurpose Welder Reviews
There are different multi-process welders for various welding operations. Below is a detailed description of the top multi-purpose welders available
- MULTI-PROCESS WELDER- 3 in 1 Stick Welder, MIG Welder and DC TIG Welder (Accessories for TIG Welding not included) everything you need in one machine
- EASY TO USE- Easy start makes every strike EASY! Three position switch allows you to change process quickly
- CONTROL YOUR WELD- Infinite voltage and wire feed speed controls allows you to dial in the perfect weld
- RUGGED- All metal case, Built to take the day to day. Big enough to handle 2 and 10 pound rolls of wire. Full metal wire drive assembly
- WELDER INCLUDES- 10' MIG gun, 8' electrode holder, 8' ground clamp, Integrated handle with torch wrap, 20A - 15A adapter and one additional .030" contact tip. Backed by a 12-month warranty
This machine welds up to 5/6II and comes with an 8II electrode holder. It is very light in weight as it weighs just 24.8 pounds with its 10I MIG gun. The light weight makes it very portable and easy to move around for home duties and any other operation that requires moving the welder.
It is used for maintenance and repair, metal fabrication, metal artistry, hobbyist and also used for do-it-yourself projects. However, it is not designed for heavy or industrial operations.
The welder has an eight inches ground clamp and comes with a 20A-15A adapter. It requires no gas for operation as it makes use of wireless gas. It is a MIG/DC, TIG/Stick welder but does not include TIG torch.
You will find it relatively affordable and also very easy to use; whether you are an experienced welder or a novice.
This welder lasts long because it is made with high-quality materials. It has a 120 voltage. This multi-process welding machine allows for convenience while using it.
If you are not using this welder for industrial purposes or any other heavy duties, then be rest assured that you will enjoy this machine. This welder requires no batteries for its operation. It is very cheap to come by.
- This welder comes with solid wire
- It does not require the use of gas
- Comes with a torch wrap
- Hs wire speed control
- Allows for easy movement because of its lightweight
- Processes MIG/DC and TIG/Stick
- Does not include TIG torch
- Durable welder made with high-quality materials
- ESAB Rebel EMP 215ic Multiprocess Welder 3in1 Pkg, $100 Rebate
- $100 REBATEOFFICIAL ESAB DISTRIBUTORGENUINE PRODUCT
- A MACHINE THAT DOES IT ALL.-The REBEL is a true multi-process welder for best-in-class MIG, Flux-Cored, Stick, even those tricky 6010 stick electrodes, and Lift TIG welding.
- CRAZY SMART TECHNOLOGY.REBEL can make your job easier with exclusive sMIG ("smart MIG") feature which continuously learns and adapts to the operator's welding technique to provide a stable arc and superior, repeatable welds
- UNMATCHED TOUGHNESS. Unique, five handle roll cage industrial design and unibody steel construction in a lightweight, highly portable unit; 3-year handle-to-handle warranty. Plus ESAB stands behind this machine with a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
Our second pick comes with a smart technology feature which allows the machine to adapt to the welder’s technique to provide a superior and smooth weld. This smart technology allows the device to monitor complex characteristics by enabling it to adapt to your technique.
It comes with two feature modes- basic and advanced. The basic mode allows you to set the wire diameter and material thickness while the advanced feature mode gives you full access/control to all the arc characteristics.
It comes with a dual voltage input of 120v and 230v. It is light in weight weighing around 40 pounds. This multiprocessing machine is used for MIG Flux-cored, stick, lift TIG welding.
The unit is very easy to use and is made with high-quality materials which allow for it to last long. It is also a portable welder, and this feature agrees on ease of movement from place to place.
It comes with a five handle roll cage and allows for DC only. This welder comes with an LCD. It does not TIG weld aluminum, it has weld parameters storage, and it comes with a trigger lock. This welder does not require batteries for its operation as well.
- Makes use of smart MIG technology
- Has basic and advanced feature modes
- Dual voltage input gives room to plug it into any common power supply
- Has a pre-flow/post flow adjustment for MIG
- Very durable and easy to use
- Burn back adjustments for MIG mode only
- Hot start for stick mode only
- Inductance adjustment for MIG mode only
- Arc force for stick mode only
- Lift arc for TIG mode only
- Voltage adjustment for MIG mode only
2017 Everlast PowerMTS 251Si Pulse
- Digital IGBT Inverter construction, MIG/DC TIG/Stick/Spool Gun ready
- Pulse MIG/Syn MIG /// Pulse TIG function, Adjustable MIG/Stick Arc Force
- Dual Voltage 120/240V . HF and Lift Start for TIG , Dual Voltage 120/240V
- 25 Series Euro fast connect MIG gun
- 030"-.045" Wire diameter / 35% Duty Cycle @ 250 Amps / Save up to 9 programs
This welder is one of the fourth generation welders which has a digitally controlled multi-process inverter. It comes with a stick electrode that has a 10ft cable and 35 series DINSE style connector. The unit runs on a dual voltage input of 120V/240V.
It is made from high-quality materials which makes it last longer. The package arrives with nice accessories and gives solid performance at such an affordable price.
This is a portable welder that allows for ease of movement from place to place and is very comfortable. It is easy to use and has a high-performance rating which ensures that it will deliver quality jobs.
It gives you the option of choosing between either a torch-less high-frequency start or a lift start in TIG mode. Also, it has a hot start intensity or hot start duration with stick mode.
Its dual voltage input gives room to plug the welder into any common power supply. This machine also comes with MIG torch with a Euro-style that allows for quick connect fitting. It has a foot pedal but does not include tungsten.
The welder does not require batteries for its operation, and it has an AC power source. It can save up to nine programs.
- Comes with an argon regulator
- Has a spare consumable starter kit
- HF and lift start for TIG
- Adjustable MIG/Stick arc force
- Has a work clamp cable
- Arrives with a stick electrode holder
- Durable as it is made from high-quality materials
- Has both pulse MIG and pulse TIG features
- Boasts synergic MIG, pulsed MIG, and TIG welding modes
- MIG/DC/TIG/Stick/Spool gun ready
Lotos Technology 04-ZVGR-008D – Top Rated 3 in 1 welder reviews
- NON-TOUCH PLASMA CUTTER: 10-50AMP Plasma Cutter Current Output; Max Ideal Cut Thickness: 1/2" ; Max Severance Thickness: 3/4"; Pilot Arc Torch Efficiently Cuts through Rough, Painted, and Rusty Surfaces and Produces Minimal Slag; Compact Plasma Cutter Has a Handle for Portability and Uses Non-Hazardous Compressed Air to Cut Stainless Steel, Alloy Steel, Mild steel, Copper, and Aluminum
- TIG WELDER: 15-200AMP DC TIG Electric Current Output; Quality TIG welding on Stainless or Steel and Precise Welding of Thinner-gauge Materials; HF arc start hand torch control and Precise Foot Pedal Welding Heat Control(Foot Pedal NOT Included).
- STICK/MMA WELDER: 15-200AMP DC Stick/MMA Electric Current Output; Easy ARC Start, Stable Welding Arc; Deep Weld Pool and Beautiful Welding Shape; Adjustable Hot Striking Arc Current which Can Greatly Improve the Arc-Starting Function; Suitable for Welding with Different Kinds of Acid or Basic Electrode.
- SETUP WITHIN 1 MIN: The pre-installed NPT 1/4" industry type D plug and air filter regulator allows you to quick connect to your air compressor by using the stand coupler existing on your air compressor. The whole machine can be setup quickly within 1 min.
- PAPST ADVANCED COOLING SYSTEM: ensure the plasma cutter have a stable and durable high performance.
This is the best 3 in 1 combo welder that has a 50A pilot arc plasma cutter, 200A TIG welder, and 200A stick welder. Using the 50A pilot arc plasma cutter function, it can cut through different types of metals of up to ½ inches.
The welder has a pilot arc plasma cutting function which enables it to cut through rough, painted and rusty surfaces while producing minimal slag.
It can cut through alloy steel, mild steel, stainless steel, copper and aluminum with air. It has a dual voltage of 220V/110V. This welder is suitable for welding as it comes with different types of base / acid electrodes.
This multi-process welder is made from high-quality materials which makes it durable. It is a very portable welder with an adjustable hot striking arc current which can improve the arc starting function greatly.
It has a 150inch torch cable length. It comes with an 80 inches workpiece cable length. It has an 80 inches stick holder cable length. It comes with a 108 inches air flow cable length. It also comes with a 70 inches power cable length.
Overall, it is the best use for different kind of welding, especially acid and the basic electrode. With combined functions such as TIG/ Stick Welding and also with a pilot arc plasma cutter, it’s an exceptional piece.
- Non-touch pilot arc plasma cutter
- Allows for DC TIG/Stick weld
- Easy to use
- Light in weight
- Durable and made from high-quality materials
- Comes with automatic dual voltage/dual frequency
- Makes use of non-hazardous air to cut
Lincoln Electric Power MIG 210
- Lightweight and portable-just 40 lbs.
- Dual Voltage Inputs (120V or 230V) means you can plug into any common power supply
- Intuitive push-and-turn digital controls make setup a breeze
- Large color display guides you through the setup process - Advanced options and settings are simple to access
- Includes - PTA-17V Ultra-Flex TIG Torch (K1782-6) and Foot Amptrol (K870)
This welder is made for hobbyists, educators or small contractors. It is very easy to use no matter your level of expertise. Even if you are a novice, you will still be able to understand how it works.
It comes with an intuitive push and turns digital controls make setting it up like a piece of cake. The advanced options and settings are easy to access, and it weighs just 40 pounds; no doubt, it is a very light welder.
This is a portable welder that can be easily moved from place to place which means it could be used for jobs at home or in a small workshop. The welder is reliable and of excellent quality.
It has dual voltage inputs of 120V/230V. This allows it to be plugged into any common power supply. This device is enabled by Torch Start TIG technology. It comes with an all-metal wire drive and sturdy sheet-metal construction making it solid and good for any job in a home or small workshops.
The materials used in making this welder are of high quality which makes it last longer. It is affordable and has awesome qualities. It does not need batteries to operate.
It has a large color display which helps guide you through the setup process. With a friendly user interface; the advanced options and settings are easy to access.
- Push and turn digital controls
- Sturdy sheet metal construction
- Comes with an all-metal wire
- Colour display screen
- Easily portable, versatile
- High-quality materials make it durable
- Processes MIG, flux-cored and DC stick
- Power to take on any MIG job
- 3 in 1 Multi Functions includes MIG/MAG, MMA and Lift TIG.
- Spool gun ready.
- Global Voltage PFC Technology 90-270 Volts
- Generator friendly!
- Friendly interface for easier operation and adjustment according to different wires.
This welder comes with a global input voltage power feature of more than 0.99. It weighs 51.3 which is relatively lightweight. It is affordable and easy to use. The machine has a built-in protection circuit of over current, over temperature and voltage for better reliability.
SUA ionMIG comes with a global voltage PFC technology of 90-270V. It incorporates a digital display for current and voltage which makes it easy for use.
It is one of the best multi-process welders in the market today with 3-in-1 functions of MIG/MAG, MMA and lifts TIG. With high-quality materials which makes it very solid, it can be used with a foot pedal for the TIG. However, it does not come with the welder.
This multi-process welder has a friendly user interface which allows for smoother operation and adjustment according to different wires.
It has two different wire spool sizes for different welding jobs and provides welding current which can be used for thin materials welding.
- Spool gun ready
- MIG/TIG/STICK welder
- Generator friendly
- Digital display for current and voltage
- Awesome quality and durability
- The metal wire feed assembly
- Global voltage PFC technology
- Lightweight allows ease of movement
Types of Welding Machines
There are different types of welders used either at home or in the industry; the different uses will enable you to pick the best multi-purpose welder specific to your job.
Tungsten Inert Gas or GTAW
This type of welding is commonly known as TIG welding. This machine requires some level of expertise to operate. It is used for taking on high-quality work and is very versatile. This uses a tungsten electrode to join metals and produce a molten weld pool.
Shielded Metal Arc Welding or SMAW
This is the most basic of all machines. It can be used for manufacturing, repairs and construction jobs. It is suitable for use on heavy metals. In this welding, the stick makes use of an electric current which forms an arc between the stick and the metals to be welded.
Gas or Oxy-Acetylene Welding and Cutting
This machine is rarely used. It is used mostly for gas metal cutting, welding refrigeration pipes and maintenance work. It also makes use of an arc process; this uses a tungsten electrode to weld.
MIG Welding or Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW)
This is the easiest machine to use. It uses two different types of welding; one uses flux wire while the other uses bare wire. This machine can be used to join thin pieces of metals. It is an affordable machine and can be used outdoors.
Plasma Arc Welding or PAW
This welder is used for precision cutting. In this case, the electron arc is made between the electrode and the workpiece. The electrode is most times made of sintered tungsten which is located within a copper nozzle.
Electron Beam Welding (EBW) and Laser Welding (LW)
These two combined are known as Power Beam Welding. This machine is used for high energy welding jobs and is expensive. Electron beam uses a focused beam of electrons while the lasers make use of monochromatic coherent photons.
What Is Multi-Process Welding?
Multi-process welding as the name implies is the way or activity in which welders carry out some different welding activities. Now, this activity has been made to be carried out using just one welding machine.
The welding machine that performs all these tasks is called a multi-process welder. This machine makes it easy for a welder to take on different activities; such as fabrication or construction activities in the workshop or on the site, using one device with one power source.
Multi-process welding activities save the operator time that would have been spent carrying out those activities one after the other and also saves money that would be spent purchasing different machines for different welding jobs.
Pros & Cons of Multi-Purpose Welder
Using a multi-purpose welder has so many advantages over using an individual welder for single welding activity. Although it also has its disadvantages as nothing is immune to disadvantages, it is still better than using individual welders.
- It is relatively cheaper to get one machine that does a number of welding activities than to get individual welders.
- Using this saves time and allows for faster completion of jobs. It will enable gives room for more welding activities to be done using just that welder.
- It is convenient to use and can be easily adjusted for your various needs and it is portable.
- The only disadvantage a multi-purpose welder has is its weight. Some machines weigh a lot. If it is to be used in the industry, then it is no problem.
- But imagine having a say; a 40-pound machine that requires you to move it around would not be easy at all.
- Taking into consideration the rate at which you will be moving the machine around before buying can enable you to choose the best multi purpose welder that eliminates this problem of weight. This is because there are lightweight welders available as well.
How to Choose the Best Multi Process Welder
In buying a multi-process welder, it is certain that the operator will want to choose the best one he can find. Several factors have to be considered before making any decision on what multi-process welding machine to buy.
These factors below will guide you depending on what you want to do with the machine, to buy the one that suits your needs the best.
Performance of The Welder
Before getting a multi-process welding machine, ensure it has a high-performance rating. This allows for more productive work in a reasonable time. Check reviews and ratings of the device to give you a clue as to how the machine is.
Positive reviews = high performance most of the time. Do not buy the machine blindly when you have access to the feedback from other people that have tested it.
Power Supply- AC & DC Capability
Power supply plays an important role when purchasing a machine as it affects many things while using the machine. Some multi-process welding machines require a type of constant current; either AC or DC.
If you buy a multi-process machine that supplies the two, this will give you the flexibility to use it on a number of welding activities.
For example, the MIG and stick welding requires the use of a DC current most times. Any welder that has both AC and DC capability is the best multi purpose welder machine to consider getting.
Knowing how much you have budgeted for the machine, streamline to the reason you want the machine, to get a good machine no matter your budget. Different multi-process welders come with different features which also come at different prices.
Depending on your immediate need at the moment, go through the types of machines and pick the one closest to your budget that performs the activities you want it for.
Keep in mind that purchasing a multi-process machine is cheaper than buying different machines for different jobs. Your best option is still to get the multi-process machine within your budget then getting the single machines.
The weight of The Machine
Depending on the reason for getting the machine, you should also consider the weight. If you are going to leave the machine in one location for a long duration of time; you can afford to get the heavyweight machine.
In the instance that you are getting it for small projects which require you going from place to place regularly; it is advisable to get a more portable lightweight machine to make it easy for you while moving.
If you do insist on getting the heavier weighted machine; you will need a welding/plasma cutter cart to enable you to move the machine.
No operator would want to spend money on getting a multi-process machine that would pack up after just a few times of use. Getting a durable machine is essential and gives value for your money spent on acquiring the machine.
Make sure to pay attention to the warranty of the machine you want to buy; in fact, I should have started with the fact that you have to get a multi-process machine that comes with a warranty.
Where Can I Use This Machine?
Multi-process welding machines can be used either at home or in the workshop on a small scale; or in the industry on a larger scale. They come in different sizes and different weights depending on where you want to use the machine.
If you intend to use it at home or in a small workshop; best get the one that is light in weight but still performs the operation you want it for.
Since you would be moving around a lot, you cannot afford to be moving such a heavy machine everywhere you go.
You can focus more on the operations when getting for a large-scale operation for the weight will be of little or no importance because the machine will be in a particular place for quite some time.
Safety Procedures for Using Multi-Process Welding Machines
Safety is paramount to any welder when using any welding machine; these safety measures if adhered help to prevent dangerous incidents that will happen if the welding machine is not handled with care.
The most common incident while welding is getting burnt, but fumes from welding are also very dangerous. The problems it causes can either be short-term or long-term problems.
Make sure to have all the required protective equipment that should be used when welding; and these types of equipment should meet the safety standards and be of high quality. These equipment include:
- Safety Goggles or Safety Glasses with Side Shields
- Welding Gloves
- Welding Shoes Or Boots
- Proper Welding Jackets
- Welding Helmets
Safety goggles are very important, and every welder should have one to protect his/her eyes from scraps or dangerous particles that fly around when welding. If you use safety glass, ensure that it comes with side shields.
Make sure you do not roll up your long sleeves or pants for any reason while working. Metal scraps or sparks can be trapped in the folds, and you risk burning your hands and legs.
No matter how hot it gets, do not fold; it is better to be feeling hot than to be physically burnt.
Your pants should be worn over your welding shoes or boots to prevent scraps from entering inside the shoes.
Ensure you wear proper clothing. Clothes explicitly made for welding is preferable. Other light material clothing items will burn when exposed to extreme heat; which most welders are exposed to.
Make sure to always have your helmet ON at all times when working; this safety requirement cannot be overemphasized.
One of the six best multi-process welders listed has to meet your needs. Get one and watch how everything would be made easy for you.
The thing about improvements is; at first, it is scary, and no one would buy the idea, but sooner than later it becomes a necessity.
Soon individual welders would become a thing of the past; or if still available, would be used only when extremely needed. Why not get a multi-process welder today, even now! Because the advantages far outweigh the disadvantage of owning individual welders.